Did you know that we are constantly being bombarded by positive ions? (especially if we live in a city)
Today I want to share with you 3 ways to get more negative ions into your home so you can feel like you’re outside even when you’re inside.
We’re going to get sciencey. But I promise, by the end of this blog post you’ll have a better understanding of …
- What POSITIVE ions are
- What they do TO us
- What NEGATIVE ions are
- What they do FOR us
- How to get more negative ions into your home so that you feel better.
So, what are positive ions?
Positive ions are little particles that have a charge. They are in the air. They are all around us.
When you live in a city, or an urban area (like I do), you are constantly bombarded with positive ions because positive ions are produced by man-made things.
- They come from air pollution.
- The come from the central air conditioning systems in our homes and in our businesses.
- They come from our wifi
- They even come from our computers, and laptops and cell phones.
These positive ions stimulate our sympathetic nervous systems. Our sympathetic nervous system activates our fight or flight response.
Little jolts of positive ion energy are good. But when we’re bombarded by it all the time, it takes a toll on our bodies.
- We start to have headaches more often.
- We have trouble sleeping.
- We’re a lot more stressed and anxious, and we just feel yucky.
Conversely, what are negative ions?
Think about how you feel when you’re out in nature, when you’re taking a hike in the mountains, when you are at the beach, or just spending time outdoors.
You just feel different. Right? You’re more grounded. You’re calmer. You can think more clearly.
Those feelings come from an abundance of negative ions in nature. Nature, especially water, naturally produces negative ions. If you’re drawn to the beach, it’s probably because of these negative ions that are abundant in and around water.
Negative ions stimulate our parasympathetic nervous system. Our parasympathetic nervous system is our rest and digest system. It’s the part of the nervous system that is going to help our bodies to relax.
Those of us who live in the city have less opportunities to experience nature, especially in the winter when we’re hibernating inside.
How do we get negative ions in our home so that we feel better?
There are 3 ways you can get more negative ions into your home.
- You can bring nature inside. We want to bring what’s outside INSIDE. You can put fresh flowers and plants that you make you happy just looking at them around the house.
- You can turn on a mineral salt lamp. Have you seen these before? You can find them anywhere. You can find them on Amazon. They are usually not too expensive. They have a light inside. The light warms it up, and then negative ions start emitting from these salt lamps. I keep one plugged in at my home all the time. It’s constantly on. I love it. It has a romantic pink glow. It helps emit more negative ions that are going to neutralize all the positive ones that we’re bombarded by.
- You can diffuse certain essential oils.
The reason this works is two-fold:
- When we diffuse essential oils, (you can see) there is a little bit of a mist. We are diffusing a fine mist of water into our air. And we now know that water is naturally a negative.
- When we diffuse, we are also diffusing essential oils in the water. And scientists have discovered that some essential oils emit negative charge into the air when they are diffused.
Would you like to know which essential oils emit negative charge when diffused?
Let me tell you which essential oils emit negative ions when they are diffused:
- Bergamot oil is great for grounding. If you have a lot of anxious feelings or you feel on edge a lot, Bergamot oil is going to be fabulous.
- Cedarwood oil is superb for sleep.
- Wild Orange – Any of the citrus oils.
- Even Lime
When diffused, these essential oils will emit negative ions into the air.
I’m going to wrap up with my all-time favorite blend for neutralizing the positive ions that are bombarding us every day –
The ZEN BLEND
- 3 drops Grapefruit
- 3 drops Bergamot
- 3 drops Lime
- 2 drops Ginger
- 1 drop Sandalwood
Diffuse or roll this blend on your pulse points. To make a roller ball, simply drip the Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lime, Ginger and Sandalwood essential oils into a 10 mL glass roller bottle, fill with Fractionated Coconut Oil and pop the roller ball on top.
I promise when you diffuse this blend in your home or office, you will feel more like you do when you’re outside.
Don’t be bombarded with positive ions. Diffuse essential oils that emit negative ions to neutralize the positive ions.
Did you learn something new?
If you got value, please leave me a comment below. Let me know, what was your biggest takeaway?
And if you want to share this post with others, I’d love and really appreciate that! Just use the social media buttons below. Thank you!